Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ansel Adams

I've been taking pictures for a while and I realized that I've never had a "favourite" photographer or someone who I'd aspire to be like one day. After weeks and weeks of looking, I think I've finally found someone who's a prototype of the kind of photographer I want to be. The late great Ansel Adams.

His breathtaking landscape shots in black and white were incredibly moving, and also a fitting mode of portraying the grandeur of the American West. His pictures probably say a lot more about the photographer than about the subject itself, in my opinion. The way he plays with high contrast lighting and shadows is truly a joy to watch. But most importantly, his use of the right amount of exposure in every shot was masterful. The picture shown below is one of his famous works, "Teton and Snake River", taken in 1942.


1 comment: